Search This Blog

Sunday, January 25, 2009

German words I love

Okay, literal translation is a minefield for miscommunication yada yada yada. I know. But I LURV how literal the language is:
gums--Zahnfleisch. Tooth meat.
mulled wine--Glühwein. Glow wine.
light bulb--Glühbirne. Glow-pear (think of the shape)

and then there's the -zeug ending. Zeug roughly translates as "thing/stuff":
Feuerzeug--fire thing (lighter)
Flugzeug--flying thing (airplane)
Werkzeug--work thing (tool)
Fahrzeug--driving thing (vehicle)

I snort every time I learn a new one:)

3 comments:

Mal and Ellie said...

Glad you're enjoying the German language. I guess you'd enjoy any language you'd learn, with your giftedness in languages! Nice to connect with you.

mdgb said...

Here's another one...

Schlagzeug (thing for hitting!) aka a drumkit

Debra said...

ha ha I like it. That one is new to me.

of course there's Spielzeug, (play-thing), and Schreibzeug (write-thing)

there are moments when I have zero desire to learn German (usually when somebody is rude on public transit and I hate the rude public behaviour here) but there are also moments when it delights me.