Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The huts on our Fußgangerzone (pedestrian zone, literally, "foot-going-zone") have multiplied--now there are about 26. Lights are strung between them on wires. None are open yet, if you don't count the all-winter roasted chestnut stall and the Russian lady who parks her huge, snorting beast of a panel van outside our windows at 6 a.m. when she sells her knock-off bags and fake pashminas on folding tables under a market umbrella. It is a perfect autumn day--golden sun, crisp, cool, and Christmas everywhere. I always found it a bit irritating that in Vancouver the Christmas things appeared in the stores immediately after Hallowe'en. Here, Hallowe'en is a "new" idea (although they celebrate All-Saints' Day Nov. 1st with a national holiday, they somehow think it's an "American" tradition. Tell that to your fellow Europeans, the Brits) So without too many witches and goblins in the shops, I saw the first Christmas things in shops October 1st. I suspect that Austria does Christmas very, very well. I'm excited about the Christmas markets all over Vienna that apparently will open soon. My students have strong opinions on which are the best, which have the best Gluhwein, which are "real" and not touristy.
It is going to be a vigorous struggle between my wallet and my desires. As always. Christmas things are different though. I love the season, the holiday, the reason behind it, the suspension of all things cynical and jaded, even if only temporary.

Just got back from Bad, bad Billa, and Bipa. (There's also a Turkish shop around the corner called Bima). Billa is the disorganized, crowded, badly stocked grocery store that unfortunately is the closest to us. Not that the others are much farther, but its regrettable proximity makes it our default shop. The proportion of available goods is truly interesting. Questions I would like Billa's management to answer:
why don't your employees wear deoderant?
why do you wait for your line-ups to get to over 20 people before opening a second cash register?
why are there milk products scattered randomly around the store? Why is the milk not together, and why is it separated from all other dairy products?
why is there next to no fruits and vegetables and meats, but an inordinate amount of candy and chocolate, filling almost one full aisle? Why do you not offer shopping baskets?

I could go on. And probably will at another point. Grocery shopping here makes me crazy.

However (in case you are not asleep yet) I was pleased at Bipa. Bipa is the cosmetics and random supplies store next to Bad Billa. I was able to find all kinds of essential oils (for soapmaking) there for dirt cheap compared to Canada. And grave candles. I love grave candles. They are a soy or wax based candle in red or, if lucky, clear plastic cups. They are cheap beyond compare, as they are used at gravesites as burning vigils for the dearly departed. I suppose it is considered tasteless to overcharge for the rites of bereavement. Perhaps that philosophy can be considered by governments and directors of funeral homes in future. Today I found them in glass votive holders, looking more like normal candles. Since I am candle-obsessed, I am delighted to find another source. The red ones are a little too obvious when Catholics come over to dinner.

Speaking of Catholics, I have accepted a part-time job in addition to the business English teaching. It is at a high-end private Catholic school. I will be a language assistant in the classroom. It is about 24 hours per week, and as I will be support staff I will get paid by the Sacre Coeur Archdiocese. Never been paid by the Catholic church before. As LK commented, what would the Holy See say about paying the offspring of Anabaptist rebels?

Well, time to put away my shopping and head off to meet a friend. We are heading to a Bookcrossing meet-up tonight. Fabulous. I have been a member for a few years but not very active. When Sandra approached me a few weeks ago and told me she was part of a group she thought I might be interested in, she said it in such a way that I thought I would have to gracefully decline shaving my head and wearing orange robes and drink arsenic kool-aid, or, even worse, Amway. Turns out she thought I would think she was a bit of a book nerd if I didnt like the idea. She organizes the local English bookcrossing meet-ups. If these are the biggest kooks I meet, bring it on. I will feel at home. Might have to confess to the junk Ive been reading lately though. Hmm. Suppose commenting on Mein Kampf is out for tonight, or any night here?

No comments: